Fractional PWM minimum percentage

Here is where you can request new features or special features.

Fractional PWM minimum percentage

Postby fsli » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:01 am

In the current version of UCCNC, the minimum PWM % can only be specified as a whole number. I'm trying to reduce the spread between commanded RPM and actual RPM, and I think being able to specify a fractional minimum PWM % (for example, 16.5%) would make life easier.

The other interesting piece of data which would be helpful is the calculated PWM % for a given commanded RPM. If that could be displayed on screen, it would also make fine tuning the actual RPM a bit easier. This would allow us to see the effect of changing the minimum and maximum spindle RPM on the generated PWM signal.

I do know that I can play with the combination of minimum PWM % and minimum spindle RPM, but it's a lot of trial and error. So far, I have minimum PWM % set to 17% and minimum RPM at 5000 (this is a Super PID v2 build) and the actual speed is about 100 RPM above the commanded speed (except at maximum speed, of course).

For my needs, the maximum PWM % will always be 100. So, I don't need a fractional value there, though it would make sense for both the minimum and maximum PWM % to be specified as fractional numbers.
Frank
fsli

Re: Fractional PWM minimum percentage

Postby ger21 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:39 am

You can use the screen editor to change the field type from "updown" to "field", and then you can type in 16.5%.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Re: Fractional PWM minimum percentage

Postby Robertspark » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:08 pm

pwm has 255 steps from memory
Robertspark

Return to Feature Request